Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Ruby on Rails: Success Story

Recently I wanted to create some enterprise-quality website, with sign up, logins, databases, nice AJAX forms etc. And I decided to write it using the enterprise-quality framework: Ruby on Rails. Here is the story of my success.

First, the installation. In Ubuntu it's simple as 1-2-3: just open the terminal and type the following commands:
root@desktop# apt-get install ruby
<... skip 10 minutes ...>
root@desktop# gem install rails
<... skip 1 day ...>
(Seriously, I left my computer working and went to date with my girlfriend. On the next day, when I came home, the computer was still working!)

Anyway, after the installation I followed the RoR's User Guide and typed:
root@desktop# rails new meta-employers
<... skip 15 minutes and 10 pages of logs ...>
root@desktop# cd meta-employers
root@desktop# bin/rails server
/root/meta-employers/bin/spring:11:in `<top (required)>': undefined method `path_separator' for Gem:Module (NoMethodError)
    from bin/rails:3:in `load'
    from bin/rails:3:in `<main>'
root@desktop# fuck you
No command 'fuck' found, did you mean:
 Command 'suck' from package 'suck' (universe)
 Command 'fsck' from package 'util-linux' (main)
fuck: command not found
root@desktop# rm -r *
root@desktop# gem uninstall rails
Successfully uninstalled rails-4.2.5.2
root@desktop# apt-get remove ruby && apt-get install php5
<... skip 10 minutes and some confirmations ...>
After that I opened my favorite IDE, JetBrains PhpStorm (yes, you may write applications for RoR using absolutely any IDE you like) and wrote my Employer Smart Lookup in ~1 day. Overall, the full-stack, enterprise quality, robust, scalable and thoroughly tested application written in Ruby on Rails required just 2 working days! I think this is a true success, and it couldn't be possible without efforts of the RoR team.

Thank you for reading this article. Please click "Like" and share it with your friends and colleagues!

No comments:

Post a Comment